Apple Pay was introduced in Malaysia just almost a month ago with support from Maybank, Standard Chartered and Ambank, while only Mastercard and VISA credit and debit cards are accepted initially, users will be happy to know that Apple Pay can now support Maybank American Express cards.
As reported by our friends at Lowyat.NET, Maybank has updated its FAQ PDF that reflects the additional support for the following AMEX cards:
- The Platinum Card®
- American Express® Gold Charge Card
- American Express® Charge Card
- Maybank 2 Cards Premier Reserve American Express®
- American Express® Platinum Credit Card
- American Express® Cash Back Gold Credit Card
- Maybank 2 American Express® Platinum Card
- Maybank Islamic Ikhwan American Express® Platinum Card-i
- Maybank 2 American Express® Gold Card
- Maybank Islamic Ikhwan American Express® Gold Card-i
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer American Express® Platinum Credit Card
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer American Express® Gold Credit Card
- Shell easiGO American Express® Prepaid Card
This effectively increases the number of supported credit cards on Apple Pay from 36 to 49 cards, it also makes Apple Pay stay ahead of rival Samsung Pay as the latter still doesn’t support AMEX cards despite supporting other Maybank VISA and Mastercard debit and credit cards.
To add an AMEX card to Apple Pay, simply launch the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the “+” button on the top right, you can either enter the card number manually or using your iPhone’s camera, enter the 4 digit security code in front of your AMEX card, enter a OTP to confirm the activation and you are all set.
Meanwhile, you might be interested to read up on the differences between Apple Pay and other digital payment solutions here.