Apple has officially put the iMac Pro up for sale now in Malaysia. Dubbed the most powerful iMac ever, the iMac Pro produces workstation class performance, and packs quite the punch with its high end specs. Built for professionals who require heavy duty workloads on their computers, the iMac Pro comes with a extremely premium price tag, but shouldn’t disappoint its users at all.
Just to recap, the iMac Pro comes in the same body as Apple’s current regular iMac’s. It does however come in a sleeker space gray finish as compared to the aging silver paint job on the non-pro models. The display is said to be the brightest Mac display ever at 500 nits, including a P3 wide color gamut. It measures at 27-inches and puts out a whopping 5K resolution in which Apple calls the Retina 5K display. Above the display is a new 1080p FaceTime camera, and Apple has packed new speakers which are 50% louder.
As far as its internals go, Apple isn’t holding back as the iMac Pro is powered by Intel Xeon W processor, with up to 18 cores depending on your preferred configuration. It can also be fitted with up to a staggering 128GB of DDR4 ECC memory and up to 4TB of SSD, all of which will translate to lightning fast performance. It also comes with an AMD Vega GPU which can deliver up to 11 Teraflops of single precision compute power, made for real time 3D rendering and high framerate VR. For half precision computing, an insane 22 Teraflops.
This powerhouse is made only for professionals who require serious firepower for their work. And here’s why according to Apple:
- 3-D designers can visualise huge 3-D models and render scenes up to 3.4 times faster.
- Developers can run multiple virtual machines and test environments, and compile code up to 2.4 times faster.
- Scientists and researchers can manipulate massive data sets and complex simulations, visualising data up to 5 times faster.
- Photographers can work with enormous files and perform image processing up to 4.1 times faster.
- Music producers can bounce (export) massive multi-track projects up to 4.6 times faster and use up to 12.4 times as many real-time plug-ins.
- Video editors can edit up to eight streams of 4K video, or edit 4.5K RED RAW video and 8K ProRes 4444 at full resolution in real time without rendering. The iMac Pro can also export HEVC video 3 times faster.
The iMac Pro is now available on the Malaysian Apple online store. With prices starting at a premium RM 20,999, it makes most think twice. But it certainly sounds like a good investment if you’re a professional who needs this amount of computing power. Max out its configured specs, throw in the optional Magic Trackpad 2 or Magic Mouse 2 on top of either one, and it will cost just well under RM 60,000. What do you think?